Central Texas Region President – Danny Hinkle
I was born January 23, 1953 in Longview Texas. I was primarily raised by my mother Bessie Hinkle along with 4 siblings. I grew up in South Austin and graduated from William B. Travis High School. A week or so after High School; I received a draft notice and joined the Air Force. I served in the Air Force from 1971 through 1975 as a Security Police where I provided base Security and served as the senior Security Alert Team Leader(SAT). I was Honorable discharged and considered a Vietnam Veteran for my service in Southeast Asia. After my discharge from the service I attended Southwest Texas State University and worked full time as a Security Officer at Austin National Bank.
While attending the university, recruiters from the Houston Police Department (HPD) visited the campus and it was at this time I decided I wanted to continue my career in Law Enforcement. My wife and I packed up the few household items we had and moved to Houston, Texas where I attended the Houston Police Academy. This was the longest and the most difficult training I ever did, but I did it! I started working for HPD in 1978.
After working four years with the HPD we moved to Longview, Texas because we wanted to raise our girls in a smaller town atmosphere. I got a job with the Longview Police Department, but my wife wasn’t happy in Longview, so we packed up one more time and moved home to Austin, Texas. In March, 1984 I was hired by the Travis County Sheriff’s Department and worked 24.5 years prior to my retirement. My services at Travis County Sheriff Office consisted of:
• Investigated property and person crimes and gathered evidence
• Interviewed witnesses, suspects and informants and took statements
• Wrote and executed search warrants or consent searches
• Filed appropriate charges
• Supervised Narcotics, Patrol, School Resource Officers, and Community Service Officers
• Supervised and reviewed all Travis County accident reports, accident reconstructions, & routine traffic management
• Supervised and ensured K-9 training was conducted properly and created schedules
• Supervised and scheduled Lake Patrol and oversaw boat maintenance
• Supervised and revised the Reserves Program with a recruiting drive that gave them strength and better training
• Oversaw training assignments made by the parks for the Park Rangers
• .Supervised and wrote the only Estray Livestock Policy in the State of Texas.
PATROL SENIOR DEPUTY
• Assigned to Organized Crime Unit and investigated major crimes and narcotics in the greater Austin area covering eleven counties
• Responsible for the seizure of $13,559,372 in narcotics and $55,484 in chemicals and glassware
• Responsible for the recovery of $236,253 in stolen property and $136,836 cash
• Directly or indirectly responsible for the seizure of 80 methamphetamine labs